[Scottish] Sorting out our new computer with Linux

Danny Owens danny at ipalchemy.net
Tue Mar 15 09:13:41 GMT 2005

>> We bought a new computer with:
>>
>> Athlon 64bit 3500 SO939
>> MSI K8N SLI Platinum (SO939)
>> 2No Kingston 512MB PC3200
>> 120GB SATA HDD 7200RPM 8MB Cashe

*Try to establish what the SATA controller chipset is.*

>> Pioneer 109 black 16x16x +OEM
>> 3.5" Floppy
>> 56K PCI Hardware Modem
>> 256MB PCI Express Sapphire RX600XT
>>
>> The operating system is Suse Linux 9.2.
>>
>> We have now found that we are finding that some of the components are not
>> working as the discs which were supplied are for windows only.

Linux can use SATA disks but the SUSE 9.2 distro may not include support.

Your options are as follows:
Put a standard IDE HDD in and install onto that, then patch the kernel to
support SATA.

Find a distro that definitely contains kernel support for SATA as standard
(check the chipset); try mandrake.

I hope this helps...

best,
Danny