[Scottish] New to the group...

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 27 14:55:45 BST 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 16:20, somarouthu venkata raja sekhar wrote:
> Hi everyone...I am raj n I am new to this group. I am a student at
> edinburgh uni n interested in understanding n writing code for linux. can
> some one help me out with some advice becoz thers lot of books n stuff
> available on the net but dont knw whr to start properly...thnxs

Hi Raj,

Welcome to Scotlug. So you want to write code for Linux...'Linux' is used to
refer to both the kernel or to complete packages based around the kernel.
Most distributions come with at least a dozen different programming languages
(C, Lisp, Perl, PHP, bash, SQL...), there are about 30 or so languages
'widely' used with Linux (and other operating systems, but there are lots
more languages of more minority interest (Fortran, Brain-f*ck, assembly...).
There are (hundreds of ) thousands of Open source development projects
already underway covering all sorts of topics, from Microcode and chip design
to artificial intelligence.

It might be helpful to go read ESR's 'How To Ask Questions The Smart
Way' (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html).

HTH

C.