[Scottish] slightly OT: PDA advice

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 10 20:37:32 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Having discovered the Gutenberg project (www.gutenberg.org) I've decided to
get myself a PDA. I do have a laptop, and while it also doubles as a
hot-water bottle in bed at night, I thought a PDA might be a more practical
solution for reading books offline.

Of course, having a (very) limited budget, I'll probably be shopping at eBay.
An of course, I'd like something which will talk to my Linux PCs.

For cost reasons primarily, but also for battery life, I find myself leaning
towards Palm devices, there's lots of cheap monochrome devices available, but
I wondered if anyone has opinions on how practical a 160x160 screen would be
for the application....and speaking of which, are there decent text viewers
available? What about HTML format books? What's all this AvantGo / Web-to-go
stuff about?

Sure a Linux PDA would be nice, but (with the exception of the VTECH device
which only sold about 6 units, and the Agenda-VR) they tend to require more
expenive hardware. I'm hoping to be up and running for under £40

Any advice gratefully received,

TIA

C.