[Scottish] message for Gordon

Richard Wright richard_a_wright at linuxmail.org
Sun Apr 2 00:29:44 BST 2006

Hi Gordon

I have had a crack at booting it from a floppy disk, but there simply isn't enough space on the floppy to boot it up effectively. In fact even the rudimentary commands on the single floppy crashed as soon as the commands were issued.

The USB port on the docking station made us think that we could install it from a USB pen. Of course when we looked at BIOS the only options to boot were hard disk and floppy disk.

This leads me to believe that there are two options now to install linux on the libretto. One is to find a cd drive for the libretto and install a CD that way. This may be a good idea since a lack of cd drive will cause problems later on anyway.

The other option is to remove the hard drive as you suggest and plug it in to another machine and install ti that way. This is the way I want to go since it may be a while before I locate an appropriate CD drive.

What I need to know from you is how to remove the hard drive from the libretto. We had a look but we could only discern a way to remove the battery. I hope that removal of the hard drive does not require hardwware such as screwdrivers etc. This is because the machine is really my Dad's and would hope not to rip it apart irreparably!

Any further advice you can offer about removing the hard drive would help me immensely.

thanks

R.A.W.