[Scottish] message for Gordon

JAMIE BERRY pbmc_computing at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 2 11:07:12 BST 2006

Does this machine have a pcmcia slot? If so I have a few years old Hp external scsi cdr drive that you can borrow /buy

Richard Wright <richard_a_wright at linuxmail.org> wrote:  Hi Gordon

I  have had a crack at booting it from a floppy disk, but there simply  isn't enough space on the floppy to boot it up effectively. In fact  even the rudimentary commands on the single floppy crashed as soon as  the commands were issued.

The USB port on the docking station  made us think that we could install it from a USB pen. Of course when  we looked at BIOS the only options to boot were hard disk and floppy  disk.

This leads me to believe that there are two options now to  install linux on the libretto. One is to find a cd drive for the  libretto and install a CD that way. This may be a good idea since a  lack of cd drive will cause problems later on anyway.

The other  option is to remove the hard drive as you suggest and plug it in to  another machine and install ti that way. This is the way I want to go  since it may be a while before I locate an appropriate CD drive.

What  I need to know from you is how to remove the hard drive from the  libretto. We had a look but we could only discern a way to remove the  battery. I hope that removal of the hard drive does not require  hardwware such as screwdrivers etc. This is because the machine is  really my Dad's and would hope not to rip it apart irreparably!

Any further advice you can offer about removing the hard drive would help me immensely.

thanks

R.A.W.