[Scottish] File access monitoring

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 26 11:35:35 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to solve a problem that someone else out there may have come across. I'm trying to figure out a way of monitoring file access - no, that's not exactly true - I'm trying to find code which will notify my program when there is file access.

I came across Dazuko, but it only spots open & exec events on a 2.6 kernel (without jumping through some strangely shaped hoops). I've also heard about SGI's fam, but my app will be monitoring lots of files in various directory trees, so I'm wary about having to open each file or directory (cf http://www.campana.vi.it/ottavio/Progetti/Famuko/).

So next I found inotify - on paper this seems to promise everything I need, but I wondered if anyone had experience of using it for real?

TIA,

C.