[Scottish] Ubuntu Dapper Server CDs

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Aug 21 11:38:52 BST 2006

Kevin McDermott wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>> I recently ordered the Ubuntu Dapper and Kubuntu Dapper cds from the
>> web site. Unfortunately they will not ship the server cds which is
>> most annoying. I want to set up a web server on my laptop so I can try
>> some development. I do not have a broadband connection. Is there
>> anyone out there that has the Ubuntu Dapper server CD that can burn me
>> a copy? I live in the Clydebank area. Thanks.
>>
> You don't need the Server to do this, you can install Apache etc on the
> desktop installation, and you'd probably find the Desktop edition easier
> to install.
>
> Once you get the Desktop edition, you will be able to install Apache via
> the Synaptic package manager.

Eww :)  The server edition does make things easier from a pure server
perspective, no X installed, etc., but if you're installing on a laptop,
would definitely be best to install the desktop version.  You can init 3 in
a pinch to stop gdm loading if you want to save memory.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      |  Tim: Your cheese game is strong.
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com | Zane: My cheese game. It's all about the