[Scottish] Which distro

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Thu Dec 21 13:17:26 GMT 2006

> I will give this a try. SInce I have you online perhaps you can help
> with another problem. Whenever I attempt activate an application like
> Kate from the prompt using sudo kate I receive an error unable to
> connect to X server.

That's because the root user doesn't have permission to access the ordinary
users X session in this way.

In GNOME there's gksudo, which allows you to run graphical apps as root,
there's almost definitely something similar for KDE.

> I have also attempted to install the kdeveloper
> app but I receive an error about the X libraries location being
> unknown. I having development experience in windows but not in linux
> so these error and correcting them are a problem for me. THanks.

Ubuntu doesn't install any of the development stuff by default, and thus I
don't think any of the headers will be available. You'll need to look at
some of the dev packages.