[Scottish] Dapper gets thumbs up in the Daily Record.

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Jun 3 10:12:39 BST 2006

Alistair Ross wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Since when did this forum become subject to religious/political/commercial
> bias?

bwahahaha.  Also, forum?

> I would imagine that Harry simply posted the item because it was about Linux,
> it was in the 'fairly major' press and that it would be of interest to know
> that the general public are now getting to know about Linux in a good light.
> I can't find anything about the article which is untrue or un-newsworthy.
>
> Can we keep it neutral?

Fair play to Harry for letting everyone know, it's good to see Linux getting
more of a mention in the mainstream press, but the article was typical of
the Record (and tabloids in general) in being light on real content.  If you
didn't know what Linux was, it was meaningless; it was also tucked away in a
section called Tech Heads, which to me is somewhat of a derogatory phrase.
Given the quality of the other two items included in the column, I'd hardly
be inclined to give it the same level of credibility as, say, the Technology
section that comes with Thursday's Grauniad, which routinely discusses
Microsoft being twats and Linux being cool, et al.

It's un-newsworthy because there's no real context or any real appeal to
anyone who didn't already know about Ubuntu.  The article might well have
said "Blobby flangeracker Ubuntu is releasing a new melongramfer this week,
which features improved sandwichratifier, plinkysandbanks, and updated
jollyglingers" given the newspaper's target audience, which is hardly ABC1
to start with.

The Record is also known as the Daily Ranger not without good reason, and
given it's primary readership is in West and Central Scotland, it's not
unfair to mention that many people aren't too keen on its position on
certain things.  I personally can't stand the fucking thing, but I simply
show my disgust by never buying it :)

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      |  Tim: Your cheese game is strong.
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com | Zane: My cheese game. It's all about the