[Scottish] newbie

Richard Wright richard_a_wright at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 28 17:13:33 BST 2006

Hi

I would like to install a distribution of linux onto my own machine and was wondering if anyone could help?

I am a university student, my old machine (eMac, now broken) was used for word processing and web browsing. It had a basic BSD version of unix. I have recently become interested in programming in unix.

My Dad has very kindly given me an old laptop of his, a Toshiba Libretto with windows 98 installed. This is the machine I want to install linux onto. It has no CD drive, only a floppy drive. We did have a backpack cd drive but it is lost. It has a pentium mmx (not sure of exact spec) and limited memory. The upshot of this laptop is its miniscule size. It is just about samll enough to fit in a pocket!

If anyone can think of a suitable linux distribution for an older machine and would be willing to guide me through the installation that would be great. Preferrably it must have a web browser, a word processor (preferrably word compatible), python, java, C compilers, both vi and emacs, and nasm assembly language.

I have never installed an operating system before and I'm not sure where to begin. The information I found on the internet suggests that my local linux users group is my best bet.

Thanks

Richard A. Wright