[Scottish] Testing AoE gear

Phillip Bennett phillip at mve.com
Tue Aug 28 16:32:01 BST 2007

Hi everyone,

A while ago I was talking about upgrading some storage and RAID and such...
I've been looking into the Coraid AoE solution (www.coraid.com) and have
managed to get a test unit so I can evaluate it for a couple of weeks.  It's
the 1521.

What I wanted to know was, does anyone have any guidelines for testing?  I'm
sure I could think of some tests for this box, but if people have any ideas
or scripts to test bandwidth, latency and speed etc, that would be a huge
help!

And before it's too late and I splurge on one, does anyone have any
experiences or commments about Coraid and their ATA over Ethernet boxes?
I'd hate to buy one if they're not as good as they could be.

This box will have two possible uses.  The first is as primary backup
instead of tape (Basically running a full backup to both tape and disk
weely, then running incrimentals every day to disk) or possibly to upgrade
from our 2x PowerVault 220S.  The PV220S isn't sold anymore, so we'd either
have to do this, or move to the MD1000 from Dell.  Both use SATA disks, but
the Dell uses a SCSI interface to the server where the Coraid uses AoE.
Personally, I don't see a huge difference, apart from the fact that I could
turn the AoE into a SAN and mount GFS partitions from various servers for
faster (concurrent) access.  Would anyone see a problem with a setup like
that?  Or have I got the wrong idea?

Thanks in advance,
Phillip.