[Scottish] several linux problems

Claudio Calvelli slug at intercal.dyn-o-saur.com
Wed Dec 19 20:22:17 GMT 2007

[...]
> ? Kernels aren't really interested in modems (except for those nasty hardware
> modems) have you tried pointing minicom at each serial port and seeing if you
> get a response to AT?

Unfortunately, modems in laptop belong to that nasty category.

Often "lspci" will find them, but whether they can be made to work or not
is another matter.

(of two laptops I can look at now, one has a modem which appears to be
part of the soundcard, and supported by the "Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD MC97
Modem" kernel driver; and the other has a losemodem which apparently
can be made to work by purchasing a non-free driver (with a "free" but
still closed-source version which does work but limits the modem to
14.4k... yes I tried, and it is painful)

C (the other C)