[Scottish] Gaelic Spellchecker

J.R. Seago¹ j.r.seago at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 13 13:01:25 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 12:15, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> I don't understand this argument.  A 1:4 Welsh:English speaking ratio
> surely deserves more attention than a 1:86 Scots Gaelic:English ratio?
> At a per-head rate, the WLB gets ~ £19, given the figures you and others
> have quoted (£13.7m/0.7m people).  The GLB gets ~ £75 (4.409m/0.058m)
> per head!  Where's the problem here?

Scotland 5,062,011 population getting £4,409,000 = £0·88 approx. per head
for linguistic and cultural preservation and promotion.

Wales 2,903,085 population getting £13,700,000 = £4·72 approx. per head for
linguistic and cultural preservation and promotion. 5·36 times as much per
head as the language and culture of Scotland gets, when it could be argued
that as one in four already speaks the language that it is not as much in
need of preservation as the culture and language of a nation where only
only one in eighty-six of the population speak the minority language. I
would argue that the spending needs to be concentrated where the need is
greatest, in Scotland. The Welsh have got the funding and recognition, in
my opinion, because an element of their cultural and linguistic grouping
is prepared to commit violence and illegality to get their cause the
news/media coverage, "...A hundred protesters blockaded the entrance to a
supermarket in Bangor, North Wales on Saturday 27 January and three
protesters were arrested for suspected criminal damage".
--
J.R. Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566   http://counter.li.org/