[Scottish] Ubuntu rampant.....

babaguy babaguy at myway.com
Thu Feb 15 19:09:40 GMT 2007

 Thanks Guys - No, the files are simply WORD files, which ought to be readable in Open Office - but - (look, I'm sorry to appear so lame, but...)

Exactly how do I mount an external drive in Ubu...? I know the Gnome D.E. is fairly pointy-clickable, but I'm not sure where you find the equivalent (if any) to "My Computer" in Ubuntu (or Linux generally - this was one of the things that drove me away gnashing my teeth at Suse a few years ago....I *want* to be a Linux kind of guy, I have an M. Gange Linux SysAdmin book, I'm willing, but I'm not sure how to make Linux look for another drive, nor how to open it up, nor "U-Mount" it once I've had my way with it.....plus, I thought Linux did not co-exist well with Windows (or vice versa) - or have *i* missed something...?

Thanks again, and any help will be hugely appreciated.

- Paul

--- On Thu 02/15, Claudio Calvelli < slug at intercal.dyn-o-saur.com > wrote:

From: Claudio Calvelli [mailto: slug at intercal.dyn-o-saur.com]To: scottish at mailman.lug.org.ukDate: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:11:56 +0000Subject: Re: [Scottish] Ubuntu rampant.....> Why would you install '98?> Just mount the drive under Ubuntu.> '98 can't even read NTFS IIRC.I can think of at least one reason - the files are in some sillyproprietary format and require their own software to convert themto some usable format.Of course, one should never use Windows for anything important,but that's another matter.C