[Scottish] Hardware question - slightly linux related :)

Colin Shorts hardnutb42k at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 16:04:37 BST 2007

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I would have thought a single larger array would be more reliable
than multiple smaller arrays.

RAID 5 offers a good level of redundancy (which is still no excuse for not performing backups), so
from my point of view it would make more sense to have a single array with larger drives, than two
or more arrays with smaller drives.

You should also take heat into consideration when thinking about an array (noise too if that's
important), newer (larger) drives should be more efficient both in terms of power usage, heat and
space. I wouldn't think there was much point in going for 750GB drives unless money is no object
;) 500GB drives are possibly the best bang for buck right now... assuming your doing sata300.

HTH,

Colin