[Scottish] Hardware question - slightly linux related :)

Russell Cassidy russ at braii.org
Wed Jun 13 23:16:40 BST 2007

On 13/06/2007 22:32, Colin McKinnon wrote:
> I've just had a Google - the 2950 is kind of small (2U) - and you want all the
> disks internal???? Putting the disks internally is the only design constraint
> you've given - but it is a big problem! Try to rethink this if you can.

Dell PE2950 can take 6 hotswap drives. If they are fully populated you
could always expand using a PowerVault or somesuch. Only drawback is the
more spindles, the more current you draw.

We've got a few 2950s with a PV220S hanging off them. They work fine for
the most part - depends on the Perc card that they talk to though.

Perc5 cards never seem to quite have the same performance as we got out
of Perc4s. But that's a whole different discussion... :-)