[Scottish] More LDAP woes - updated

Phillip Bennett phillip at mve.com
Mon Jun 25 16:41:06 BST 2007

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd update the list with the results I have so far.

First of all, I rebuilt one of the machines with RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.
This gave me login, but no autofs.  Fortunately, I could change the defaults
in the autofs config file and make it work.  So then I had fully working
LDAP login AND autofs.  However, we don't use RHEL5 here, only 3 and 4.  So
I rebuilt a different machine with straight, plain old vanilla RHEL4 update
5.  During installation, I told it to use LDAP for authentication etc.  Once
installed and rebooted, I could login AND use the autofs.  I didn't even
have to change the usual settings (underscoretodot=0).

This afternoon, I have set up a similar machine with RHEL3 and once updating
the autofs rpm, it logs on and works fully.

So thanks to everyone who tried to help with this problem.  I have no idea
what made it decide to work, but the thing seems to be that if I leave it
alone and only use the GUI to change the login/auth settings, it seems to
work.

Note that I haven't changed AMYthing on the LDAP server.  The schemla is the
same and all permissoins are the same as when it didn't work.

This is the short version of events.  I had spent a lot of time with it over
the last few days.  I even had two logs of a query from the 'working' client
and the 'not working' client to see what was wrong.

If there is anyone on the list that has done this sort of thing before, let
me know.  I'd love to hear your experiences of LDAP.

Thanks,
Phil.