moRe: [Scottish] time spent on Linux stuff...

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Thu Mar 1 08:52:28 GMT 2007

> J. R. Seago wrote:
> Why Ubuntu? If you're going to  use Debian, why not install Debian, and
not
> an imitation? If you're going to use an imitation, no matter how good,
then
> why not Knoppix?

This is one of my pet hates, so sorry if this comes out harsh. The answer
to a newcomers question is _never_ "why don't you try this distro
instead". Solve the problem _first_ and then (and only in a small number
of circumstances) it may be worth making a suggestion for an alternative.
Secondly, Ubuntu is not an "imitation" - it is based on a Debian core, but
a huge amount of work has gone into making it a top quality,
user-friendly, desktop distribution. Lastly, Knoppix (IMHO) is designed
primarily as a livecd distribution and not for installation as your main
distribution - I know you _can_, but I still don't think it's the best
idea in the long term.

> babaguy wrote:
> I realise that newly downloaded applications *ought* to simply open by
clicking
> on the icon, but the trouble is there *are* (mostly) no discernable
icons, and
> when there *is* an icon on the desktop, there's nothing in it!

Ubuntu is not a fan of icons on the desktop, hence the reason that there
are none when you install. Applications should be found in the menus. If
you find that an application _has_ put an icon on the desktop, then it's
most likely not one that's come from the official repositories - thus see
my previous comments on this.

mrben

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.