[Scottish] time spent on Linux stuff...

Kevin McDermott kevinmcd at linuxsolutions.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 10:47:38 GMT 2007

Hi Paul,
>  Dear Mr. Ben and all, I think my problems have just been a series of unfortunate events...When I've tried to use the <tab> key to complete a file name in order to find/install it, the computer simply beeps at me - this may be a key mapping issue, I realise...

I would doubt this, unless you're using a weird keyboard.  tab-complete
only works on things in the path.
> Even when using Synaptic last night to download & install back ports to Breezy, it downloaded them all right, but when it came to installing them I got an error message that another program like apt-get was also running (it wasn't) - I closed my terminal window, tried again and still got the same message...

Why install back-ports to breezy?
> I suspect that I just got a duff copy of Breezy (but the price was right! ) -  and I can't change the boot sequence in my BIOS to allow it to go from CD-ROM first - the options are there but there doesn't seem to be any way to enable them - so I can't load a new OS/distro....

I'd doubt it'd a "duff copy of Breezy", but on the upside, boot from the
CD and there's a CD tester.
> Since I *could* boot from CD-ROM when I loaded Breezy, I suspect that something in Breezy has disabled or frozen my BIOS settings, meaning I must simply donate my computer to the Electron Club in Glasgow and find another.......

Again, having been using Linux for close to 13 years, I've never seen
any Linux distro disable or freeze BIOS settings, so I find this very,
very unlikely.  Hold onto your computer, and tell us more about it, what
model is it? Is it home-built? If so what Motherboard/Chipset/CPU -
these usually appear on the first screen after you power on.  I wouldn't
worry too much, it's almost certainly fixable.
> Once again, thank you all for your cogent, patient help. I appreciate it!

We'll continue trying 'til you get bored, or you slip back to the stream
of conciousness stuff ;-)

Kevin