[Scottish] Kubuntu help.....?

babaguy babaguy at myway.com
Sun Mar 11 22:48:22 GMT 2007

Dear SLUG,

I have installed the KUBUNTU recommended by the Scribbler. I now cannot see how to install any programmes not included in the pre-selected lists ("KDE, GNOME, ANY SUITE")in Adept Package Manager/Updates.

Before any of your jump on me for not having R'd TFM, I *have* been R'ing TFM for the past two days. This morning I was on Marcel Gagne's site and another individual with exactly this problem has a post there - the only (remotely) helpful reply tells him to go into "Adept Package Manager > Manage packages..."

The problem with this is that on my system the only option Adept Pkg. Mgr. presents me with is "Adept Package Manager>Quit?"

I downloaded RealPlayer for Linux - it parked itself on the desktop (as things did in my dodgy Breezy Ubuntu) and then no matter what combination of commands I have been able to muster from the man pages, it still will not recognise where the pkg is - even if I put the equivalent of "It's on the desktop!" in the command -

This Kubuntu also gives me the unsettling message "File protocal died suddenly." upon booting the desktop - also some other file process also  " - died suddenly." (I think this is just a dumb anomaly, because as soon as one clicks "Okay" it seems to carry on happily booting...)

Should I get ANOTHER Kubuntu, or - as Seago has suggested - Slackware, or what? These problems seems to be in the compiling of my particular packages/versions - I feel pretty sure most of you don't have an Adept Package Manager, for example, whose only FILE/ADEPT option is "Quit?"

If you can offer any guidance, I'd appreciate it. (I've e-mailed one of the super users on Linux questions but got a reply regarding something else entirely asking me to write about another far more involved problem altogether.) I'd just like to download and install some software, please.....

- Paul