[Scottish] Help with SU

Russell Cassidy russ at braii.org
Sat Mar 31 01:39:15 BST 2007

Phillip Bennett wrote:
> Apparently when the permissinos are set as : rwxr-xr-x  root   named  60480
> Apr 10  2006 /bin/su it's not a good thing.

Because su needs suid permissions to be able to set the uid to the one
you are wanting.

> Thanks for all the help though.  It has been a very weird problem.  With
> random permissions like this though, I think it might be time to rebuild.
> Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

Have you run some sort of hardening script that removes suid/guid bits
from scripts/programs on your system (such as bastille?) - this will
remove normal user functionality from programs such as ping etc.

Running su under sudo would have worked fine as you were running su as
root and not as you.