[Scottish] Reflashing a BT Home Hub - Advice Needed[Scanned]

AndyP agp at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Nov 2 18:15:20 GMT 2007

Here Goes,

	BT Home hub, made by Thomson/Inventel and appears to have a model
number of BLUE_7G. Very similar to the Orange/Freeserve/Wanadoo Livebox
BLUE_5G in that it uses a Broadcom BCM6348 ADSL2+ chip and runs a
modified 2.6.8.1 kernel. Unlike the Livebox this has a encrypted boot
image which no-one has yet decrypted, in the same manner as other
Speedtouch modems. See here for options on unlocking the hub
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=a81f86d41ec71b1552679033a90bedb1&t=22917
although they all appear to stop the phone working.

	It might be possible to replace the bootloader with either RedBoot or
CFE in the same manner as the other BCM6348 modem/routers. If this is
possible (I haven't tried yet but will sometime as I have used Jtag to
backup the boot loader) it should be able to run other code as all
others based on this chipset have the same code base, only Inventel
being different in using RedBoot on the Livebox and Thomsons own on the
Homehub. This would also stop the phone option from working although it
might be possible to still use the phone binaries as the kernel version
of 2.6.8.1 is the same for most of the boxes.

	Most of the important bits use proprietary binaries or modules
(ADSL/WiFi,Bluetooth,phone,etc) for which there is no source available.
What GPL source there is, is available from
http://www.btyahoo.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/gplcode.html and although
http://Openwrt.org did some work on getting Linux to run on the BCM6348
chip they did not look at getting it on the Homehub.

	I haven't done much with my Homehub as I have been concentrating more
on the Livebox, but will try and help if anyone has any questions on
either.

Cheers,

	AndyP