[Scottish] Software for digital camera output

Mike Quin mike at elite.uk.com
Fri Nov 30 17:59:41 GMT 2007

On 30 Nov 2007, at 17:24, John Gordon Ollason wrote:

> I notice that some cameras are supplied with software including a
> USB driver. Does this mean that I was just lucky with the Olympus?
> Or do supplied drivers do something fancier than just make the
> camera look like a SCSI disk?

Disk behavior (USB mass storage support) is pretty much the norm for
pulling pictures off the camera, effectively using the camera as a
card reader as you have seen. Some cameras also have a 'PC' mode which
allows them to be used as a webcam, or in the case of some more
advanced SLRs, fully controlled (shutter release etc) from the PC.