[Scottish] zipslack and lilo

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 1 23:20:22 BST 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 09:37, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 07:52 +0800, Richard Wright wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've still got this toshiba libretto 100ct laptop and can't quite figure
> > out how to get linux installed onto it.
> >
> > A while ago I tried to plug the hard drive it into a friend's computer
> > and used the ubuntu distro, which is pretty much fully automated. The
> > installation worked fine, but was configured to my friend's computer, NOT
> > the libretto and would then not work when plugged back in. Lilo issues
> > error 17, which I believe means the kernel is not where it expected it to
> > be.

It still should be a viable way to go (but see below).

> It's a complete and utter waste of time installing any recentish distro
> of Linux on the Libretto.  There's no way it will ever be fast enough or
> have enough memory to be usable.  I've had excellent results using
> NetBSD on a 70CT though.

Go find 'Puppy' linux. It specifically designed with old boxes in mind (will
work in 32Mb, but a bit more comfortable in 128) and does some cool stuff
with unionfs to minimise writes to disk (thus preserving battery life). IIRC
there are boot floppy images for it which work in conjunction with the USB/CD
image.

I've only fired it up twice on my (1GHz, 384Mb) laptop where it was amazingly
fast running with the entire image (96Mb inc XWindows, Abi Word, Gnumeric and
Mozilla) in the ram disk layer of the filesystem.

HTH

C.