[Scottish] Mobile phone internet connections

Miah Gregory mace at darksilence.net
Thu Sep 13 22:48:02 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 22:36 +0100, Adam Conway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm involved with organising an event at the end of the month.  I need
> to find a way to get a list of names from an office (an hour outside
> Glasgow) to a hall (in Glasgow).  We'll need to do this maybe up to
> about six times, all on the one day.
>
> We haven't done this for a couple of years.  We used to just fax the
> list to the wardens office in Glasgow, but we're using a different venue
> this year and that may not be an option.
>
> I don't have a large budget, but could spend a small amount.  What I'd
> hoped was that I'd be able to get a pcmcia card which I could put my sim
> card in and make an old-fashioned, dial-up connection.  (I'd set up a
> special email account for this purpose so I'd only be downloading what I
> need so connection speed really isn't an issue but I need to avoid
> getting in to any sort of ongoing contract!)
>
> My problem is that no-one seems interested anymore unless it's broadband!
>
> Also, I'd like to be able to do it all from Linux!  (I do have an unused
> XP boot option on my laptop if I have to, but I'd like to stick with my
> nice Slackware system.)  So, does anyone have any pointers?  Has anyone
> ever got a pcmcia mobile phone based modem working on Linux?  (Does
> anyone have an old one they've since upgraded to broadband which they'd
> be prepared to sell on? Long shot I know, but if  you don't ask...)

As long as you have a data enabled SIM and some kind of phone with a
suitable interface, you can just use 'dial up' over the phone to connect
then you're running TCP/IP so can use whatever software you like.

I personally use a nokia ngage (company phone, not my choice) and a
bluetooth link on my laptop when I'm out of the office and need
connectivity urgently.

It's not fast, but it works fine.

--
Miah Gregory