[Scottish] RAID Setup[Scanned]

Tim Brocklehurst t.brocklehurst at henryabram.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:11:09 BST 2008

Hi Phil, good to hear from you again.

I would personally go for RAID5 with some hot spares. Disk size depends on how much you want to spend, but 500GB SATA drives are about £60 on e-buyer now, so I see no reason to use any less.

You might want to reserve two disks in RAID1 for system, so that gets you to 13 disks for storage.

Assuming two hot spares and 10 data disks (5:1 ratio active to spare is pretty safe I would think) that would give you 4.5TB of space which could be accessed at 315 MB/s (roughly), assuming that you can get 35MB/s per disk (which is possible).

So it really depends on the speed of your network(s) as to whether you can use the disk-access speed. Remember that a gigabit network will only give you 120MB/s at most.

I don't have any experience of ATA over Ethernet, but I would think that normal network speed rules will apply.

Since you're doing RAID on Linux, you can set the system up so it will inform you of a disk failure. Using hot-spares as well, I doubt a normal user would actually notice a problem.

Hope this helps a bit,

Tim B.