[Scottish] Send mail from script via remote smtp

Paxton, Darren darren.paxton at mercer.com
Fri Apr 25 10:12:47 BST 2008

Hi All,

The subject of this message probably looks easier than what I'm trying
to convey.

Basically I've got the need to configure a script to check the
permissions of /tmp as we had a server crash recently which hosed the
permissions on /tmp resulting in Oracle refusing to start-up and the
DBAs are demanding some way of checking this.

I've written a script which will check the permissions of /tmp at reboot
and if they aren't the defaults, it generates a mail with the actual
permissions listed.

Now for what is probably the bleeding obvious bit. Our standard build
has sendmail disabled by default so what I'd like to do it be able to
tell the mail command to connect to our internal smtp server in order to
deliver the message to the needed recipients.

Does anyone know of a way of achieving this or have any other
suggestions? My only other alternative is to enable sendmail but
restrict it to only accept connections on the loopback address, however
this may have implications as our security teams may have asked for
sendmail to be disabled by default (I'm looking into this).

Thanks

Darren

--
Darren Paxton, Linux Engineer
MMC Global Technology Infrastructure | Enterprise Systems Engineering
darren.paxton at mercer.com
www.mmc.com

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally
privileged.If you received this message in error or are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy the email message and any attachments or
copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing
or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the
erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your co-operation.

Mercer Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority. Registered in England No. 984275. Registered Office: 1 Tower
Place West, Tower Place, London, EC3R 5BU.