[Scottish] mail server issues

Roland Ward roland.ward at penguinfactory.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:25:53 BST 2008

scottish-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way of achieving this or have any other
> suggestions? My only other alternative is to enable sendmail but
> restrict it to only accept connections on the loopback address, however
> this may have implications as our security teams may have asked for
> sendmail to be disabled by default (I'm looking into this).

I'd go with the perl script already mentioned or look at installing
something like SSMTP on the server. To be honest its not a bad idea to
install a proper MTA so you don't need to set up custom mailing for
other monitoring scripts. Modern Sendmail shouldn't really be a security
risk but to you are much better off with Exim or Postfix (Exim being my
choice) and can be very simply configured to use an SMTP smarthost on
all modern installs.

Also consider using something like nagios or even just the logger
command to send out the information to a central monitoring host.

--
Roland Ward (Director)

Penguin Factory Ltd
www.penguinfactory.co.uk
Tel: 0845 868 3988

PenguinFactory Limited is a limited company registered in Scotland registered in Scotland number SC270171.
Registered office: Penguin Factory Limited, c/o Sinclair Wood and Co. 90 Mitchell Street Glasgow. G1 3NQ.