[Scottish] Send mail from script via remote smtp

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Fri Apr 25 17:01:46 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:48:13AM +0100, Paxton, Darren wrote:
> Now for what is probably the bleeding obvious bit. Our standard build
> has sendmail disabled by default so what I'd like to do it be able to
> tell the mail command to connect to our internal smtp server in order to
> deliver the message to the needed recipients.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of achieving this or have any other
> suggestions?

As well as the previous suggestion of perl, python's smtplib module
can speak to an smtp server and there are probably libs for most other
languages too.

There are a few apps that provide a sendmail-like command line
interface and forward on to a remote smtp server, I use msmtp here but
there are others, looking in mutt's documentation will find a few.

      Robert