[Scottish] Is my computer now a spam bot?!! (Help!)

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Sun Jul 20 22:32:41 BST 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 20:33:06 babaguy wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> I opened up my myway inbox just now and saw to my horror a message
> apparently sent out by MY e-mail address - e.g. babaguy 'at' myway dot com
> and the subject line on the e-mail is something like 'Angelina Jolie XXX
> video...'
>
> I have a mac now, and no anti-virus software as everyone seemed to think
> 'Oh, it'll be all right - there aren't many viruses for macs...' etc.
>
> Have I been spam-bot'ed?
>
> If I characterise the message as spam I won't be able to receive any
> messages I send myself (to include attachements, etc. so I can print them
> later, elsewhere)
>
> Probably time to scrap myway, anyway...
>
> Any thoughts from any of you? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Yours apprehensively,
>
> - Paul B.

Check the headers.

It's quite possible you've just been joe-jobbed, where spam is sent out with
your address as the return address. It's also possible the spammer is just a
clown that sets the return address to be the same as the recipient address
for every bit of mail (s)he sends.

Kyle

--
Kyle Gordon - 2M1DIQ