[Scottish] Amazon albums?

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 25 23:27:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there's anything other than amazonMP3 which will
open .amz files.

Despite what it says in the Amazon MP3 faq:

>What does DRM-free mean?
>
> Digital Rights Management or "DRM" commonly refers to software that
> is designed to control or limit how a file can be played, copied,
> downloaded, shared, or accessed. DRM-free means that the MP3 files
> you purchase from Amazon.com do not contain any software that will
> restrict your use of the file.

They don't seem to publish any details of the file format - and the only way
to buy albums is by using their binary only program. Since they have at least
gone to the trouble of porting the program to Linux (and producing a Fedora9
package - I'm currently running Fedora 9) I was **even** prepared to use it,
but trying to install it turned up lots of missing dependencies - it seems
I'd at least need to install a large part of Gnome to get it working.

C.