[Scottish] Open Data in Scotland

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 24 22:36:19 UTC 2010

You could do worse than speak to your local councillor during their
surgery.  Some are OK; Councillor Braat [Lab] is one, Baillie Baker (Green)
is another.
They're both West End, but the council makes it pretty easy to find your own
councillor.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/councillorsandcommittees/allMembers.asp?sort=0

You may even have a local community council/gorup association that meets up
periodically (e.g. Yorkhill and Kelvingrove Community Council, not mine but
one I know that is active).  Maybe a few can be brought on board there.
Unfortunately I can't find a convenient site that lists the various groups
contact details.

The pertinent questions you'd need to be able to answer are along the lines
of:
1) Why is it good for councils to be more open?
2) What benefits can they gain?
3) How being open could save them money? (if that's possible)

Then you have the various issue over how the information is made public.  No
point in releasing information that is hard to compare/aggregate (afraid I
have no experience of that).

J.