[Scottish] Broadband advice

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 5 23:05:37 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 01:48:38 pm Jason Irwin wrote:

> Looking at Virign Media just now, any good?

On the whole yes - the infrastructure is **very** good - fibre to the wall of
your house means you get the bandwidth they advertise, and on the whole
service is very reliable. They were never very good at services (NTP, email,
and the bundled hosting package is rubbish) and since the Virgin takeover
they seem to be trying to land grab by running transparent proxying for all
port 80 stuff and adding "value" by pre-filtering email. There's only been
about 2 or 3 significant outages I've noticed in the time I've been using
them (12 yrs now) all due to problems with their DNS services (switching to a
seperate server solved the problems for me).

As for support? Well its a call centre in Asia somewhere who work from a set
of about 4 scripts for diagnosing internet problems - they don't even
acknowledge the existence of Apple Macs, let alone Linux. And you can expect
to spend 30 minutes in a queue for the privilege - but I've been involved in
some very serious and expensive support contracts with detailled SLAs which
have been about as much use.

Good luck,

C.