[Scottish] Cost of M$ in councils.

Colin Speirs edhogg.equus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:59:43 UTC 2011

Hi Dan

On 28 January 2011 07:24, Dan Shearer <dan at shearer.org> wrote:

> From the perception that Windows is free the line of reasoning follows
> that the bar for Linux is a lot higher, because Windows is compatible
> with everything currently in use. Thus Linux is introducing cost for no
> short-term functional gain.
>
> Can't speak for Councils, though I work for the SG I shouldn't comment on
their purchasing policies, but my mum works for a Council down south so I'll
throw some  comments at you based on a conversation I had with some of her
colleagues who work in her IT department.

Windows isn't seen as free because of the inclusion with the PC, the
machines are all rebuilt with a standard build. The software in accounted
for by seats and volume licencing.

Windows desktop software has a lot of traction if for no other reason than
the investment the users have made in Excel spreadsheets and macros over the
years. The IT guys like AD stuff, giving them a bewildering level of
control.

The main training expense would be not in training the users, if they can
use Windows they can use Gnome or XFCE, but in the IT folks who would need a
lot of retraining, and a shedload of work trying to recreate their network
in Linux form,

Linux and Unix are in there somewhere, but usually specific servers of tools
with embedded Linux.

Colin