[Scottish] Storage servers

Colin Shorts colin.shorts at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:43:40 UTC 2013

On 08/09/13 13:03, Graeme Thomson wrote:
> Hey folks,
> Should i just set it up the same as the first, and point mount points etc
> to the new server from clients, or from the original server, making it
> relatively seamless to clients at the expense of some performance, or is
> there a better way of setting it up?
I'm not sure that you can re-export nfs mounts, but can't say that I've
tried the same with CIFS/SMB.

I'd be more inclined to set it up as a separate server myself.

As for the HP Microserver, you can squeeze 6 3.5" drives in it and just
set it to boot from a USB stick (like I did after forgetting to setup a
small partition on each drive for /boot, RAID 1 over 5 drives + spare).
I used the Nexus Double Twin to get two drives in the 5.25" bay at the
top. With 6x 3TB drives in there in raid 5 with a single spare, that's
12TB. caveat: you need to use a modified BIOS to get the full
performance and use an esata - sata cable passed back from outside for
the 6th drive. An other option would be adding 6x 2.5" drives in the
5.25" bay, but that starts to get silly, and the HD sizes are a bit
limiting for now.

If you're really running out of space that quickly then perhaps you need
to look at some enterprise grade storage stuff - you can probably pick
up some old kit that will still handle SATA drives ok and give you 12
disk bays. Of course noise then might become an issue, not to mention
the electricity to power them, and the heat that they'd produce.

-Colin