[Scottish] Window manager for tablet?

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Tue May 13 21:22:04 UTC 2014

On 07/05/14 08:43, ray wrote:

> Thanks for the keyboard info; I will investigate local price.  Do you have an Intel chipped tablet?  I have not had much luck running regular Linux desktops on Arm.

Sorry offline for a bit there. Was back at PCWorld this weekend and
price is now £48.

I've not tried running a conventional distro on the tablet (arm) I'm
using VNC viewer on the tablet to access my desktop. If nothing else
it's an education in how to (not?) to design a UI for a tablet device.

The Word Processor/Spreadsheet app (Kingston Office) which came with the
tablet (Lenovo Yoga) actually copes quite well with the stuff I've
thrown at it so far. However I was also hoping to map out tools which
would be usable via a remote session for BYOD at work - i.e. allowing
users similar access to what they have from their work desktop, but
without any data being downloaded (or downloadable) to the device
itself. And while I could just run virtual Windows machines with VNC,
Linux/Unix seems a much nicer fit.

Running a browser based application is looking like a better solution,
but although there seem to be at least 2 projects underway porting
OpenOffice to the web, there doesn't seem to be a sable release yet.

C.