Buying advice

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 00:15:46 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I think its about time to replace my aging PC desktop. Currently the limits
on its performance are the spinning rust but mostly the CPU (AMD Athlon 64
X2 4200). Typically I've got one of CPUs maxed out just browsing the
internet.

Looking at https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks
(Geekbench3) it would appear that i3 boxes in my price range (i3-4150)
offer better single core performance than the i5s or i7s (and most of the
AMDs). Does anyone with more familiarity with CPU benchmarking have an
opinion as to whether this really is the case, or if its just an artefact
of the benchmark?

 (planning to spend under £400 - including an SSD which I'm not averse to
buying separately)

C.