ScotLUG :: Thursday 29th September

Kenny Coyle kenny at heloo.net
Tue Sep 27 12:06:45 UTC 2016

Hey all,

The next ScotLUG meeting will be on Thursday 29th of September at the usual
spot, the Electron Club in the CCA. We should be kicking around the
Electron Club around 6:45PM. We will be aiming to start the talk at 7:30PM.

This month we have a meeting in two parts, kindly led by Martin Bartos, the
details being as below.

Part 1: Have you ever noticed just how inefficient it is to send messages
around to assemble a single document? Even assembling chunks and revision
control has problems. Live collaborative text editing broke through first
on the Mac with SubEthaEdit and later went mainstream when Google adopted
it for their Wave project - Wave was later culled by Google and spun out to
an Apache project. Most people who have experienced it have used GoogleDocs
- but if you don’t want to be forced to get everyone a gmail login or want
to collaborate privately what to do? We’ll show you how to set up an
etherpad on a machine..

Part 2: Glasgow should be a beacon of digital progress and not a laughing
stock. Recent reports suggest the city as a local authority is looking at
outsourcing its IT provision completely to CGI. What do you think of this
and what would you want from the City’s IT? What should a Digital Glasgow
look like? Contributions from the group will be collated on an etherpad
create in Part 1.

Hope to see you there!