ScotLUG :: April 30th 2020

Kenny Coyle kenny at heloo.net
Wed Mar 18 21:00:30 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

A few people have been asking what we're doing this month for ScotLUG. We
are taking the advice of government and NOT organising a meeting for March.
Based on our current understanding of the situation, we have a talk planned
for April.

Our current plan is to meet at the Electron Club as usual in April. We do
however have the intention of organising an online / live streamed event if
needs be. I will get more details to you closer the time.

The next meeting will be on April 30th covering Linux From Scratch, kindly
presented by Ajazz

---

In the modern era of flashy app stores, touch-based UIs and containers for
all, is there still a place for building your own software from scratch?
What about building your entire OS from scratch?

Who'd want to do that?

I argue that there is still a great value to getting to know your OS in
detail by building it package by package from the ground up, and the Linux
>From scratch project helps you do just that. I'd like to take you through
the build process and demo a few differently configured machines. But aside
from being a great learning project to extend your knowledge of Linux
systems, can Linux From Scratch be used for any "real" purposes? It
definitely can, and in fact with a few tweaks to the build process, it can
even be a fantastic everyday desktop environment.

---

Thanks,
Kenny.