[Sderby] Linux Project

brian waters sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 00:47:00 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C2A61C.BF2A7100

Yo Guys

The names Brian and I'm an absolute newcomer to Linux, although I have =
to admit to being a Windows user and programmer for too long now!!. I =
had intended to attend your last meeting but unfortunately I had to be =
elswhere.

I do voluntary work at an airfield and I am contemplating a project =
using Linux. At some stage in the near future, I would like to be able =
to build a small, secure LAN, using a mix of, say, 6 Windows/Linux PCs =
initially, until those using the system can be trained!! I have built a =
spares tracking/utilisation  database in MS Access that I would like to =
see ported to MySQL or similar. The whole point of the exercise is to =
have a robust & secure network, that doesn't require a large outlay in =
licenses and being forever on the upgrade treadmill.

This is a big project as far as I'm concerned and I realise I have a =
huge learning curve in front of me. Can anyone give me any tips on how =
to go about this please?

Thanks

Brian

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C2A61C.BF2A7100

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yo Guys</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The names Brian and I'm an absolute =
newcomer to=20
Linux, although I have to admit to being a Windows user and programmer =
for too=20
long now!!. I had intended to attend your last meeting but unfortunately =
I had=20
to be elswhere.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I do voluntary work at an airfield and =
I am=20
contemplating a project using Linux. At some stage in the near future, I =
would=20
like to be able to build a small, secure LAN,&nbsp;using a mix of, say, =
6=20
Windows/Linux PCs initially, until those using the system can be =
trained!! I=20
have built a spares tracking/utilisation&nbsp; database in MS Access =
that&nbsp;I=20
would like to see ported to MySQL or similar. The whole point of the =
exercise is=20
to have a robust &amp; secure network, that doesn't require a large =
outlay in=20
licenses and being forever on the upgrade treadmill.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is a big project as far as I'm =
concerned and I=20
realise I have a huge learning curve in front of me. Can anyone give me =
any tips=20
on how to go about this please?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C2A61C.BF2A7100--