[Sderby] Linux Project

chris sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 18:24:01 2002

Brian

As another relative newbie, I'd make a case for Mandrake.  I /shouldn't/
be a newbie, as I first started trying-out Linux about 3 years ago,
usually with free distros from Linux Mag/Format.  None of them would
work 'out of the box' - if it got the graphics right, the modem wouldn't
work, but usually it was the graphics.  Trying to reconfigure XFree86
from a command prompt is a bit challenging for a newbie!  I tried Red
Hat 5.0, 5.1, 6.0 and Storm Linux, so I persevered !!

Around April this year, I came across Mandrake 8.2 (thanks, Linux
Format!).  After a little trouble with the initial install, it loaded
and ran everything - modem, graphics, the works  My soundcard wasn't
supported (by any distro), but I fixed that with an install of oss.

You pays your money and takes your choice, But Mandrake worked for me.
 Now, if I could just get ksirc working, I could be in chat...

Chris