[Sderby] Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 21:03

Ron Smith sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 21 13:40:01 2002

 I've bought a copy of Suse Linux v8.1 pro. I have loaded it and now when
booting it hangs on an error:-
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 21:03

The machine I loaded is a Dual P III 800 the Hard Drives are mounted on a
pci Raid card (100 udma) instead of the on board IDE ports (UDMA66).

I think i have pushed my look too far!! When I boot I have a choice of Linux
or Linux Safe Settings, when I choose the latter I boot to a command prompt
but, of course; I do not know enough to go futher.

Next Attempt
Disconnected IDE drives, unplugged pci Raid card.

Installed SCSI  Hard Drive

(Initial attempts at Suse install ended with not System Disk failure) so

Formatted and made bootable
Ran SUSE 8.1 Installation - This time boot OK!

Error

KMOD: failed to exec /sbin /modprobe -s -k block major-8 errno=2
VFS: cannot open root device "sda3"
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 08:03

--Same hang up again. Can anyone help Please?

--
Ron Smith   email: ron@brooklands-farm.co.uk