[Sderby] SuSE 8.1 first impressions and CF card reader

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 1 21:22:00 2002

Guys,

You've just gotta go out and buy 8.1 it's b***dy brilliant !!!

I've just installed it on the laptop and all my hardware is discovered.

KDE 3.03 looks really smart, the new icons are superb there seems to be
a lot of thought gone into the functionality of KDE and YAST.

I've also purchased a multi-slot USB memory card reader Compact Flash,
Smart Media, MMC/SD and Memory Stick. SuSE sees this as 4 separate
devices so with a slight tweak to FSTAB i've now got 2 icons on my
desktop 1 for Compact Flash and the other for Smart Media.

If anybody is interested in the card reader I can supply details of
where I purchased it from, I have a second one, but that is for Mike.
The manufacturers state it works with Linux, Redhat, Mandrake and SuSE.

I'm very chuffed to say the least :-)

Dave