[Sderby] Accessing Windows partitions

Ian Simpson sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 3 08:35:59 2002

Hi Mike,

I have two HDs, one 20GB partitioned 4 ways (drives C, D, E, F),
all being used by WinMe and one 6GB that I put Linux on.

When I browse around using Konqueror, or view the file system
from a shell window, I can see a /windows directory directly
under Root.  Inside this directory are 4 more called C, D, E and
F. If I try to view the contents of these directories, either as
root or user:ian, they all appear to be empty.

If I list the contents of the /windows directory in a shell
window I get...

drwxr-xr-x  2  root  4096  Aug 18  17:22  C/
drwxr-xr-x  2  root  4096  Aug 18  17:22  D/
drwxr-xr-x  2  root  4096  Aug 18  17:22  E/
drwxr-xr-x  2  root  4096  Aug 18  17:22  F/

I still can't get my head around *nix's way of referring to
drives - does 'hda' refer to a physical drive or a partition?
and apart from behind with your wellies on, just what is a mount
point?

Confused from Derby.

On 02/10/2002 at 22:33 you wrote:

>Ian,
>
>Not quite sure what you've tried.  How do you mean it
aknoledges that the
>partitions are there?  Have you tried to mount them?  If not,
then get a
>shell and su to root.  Next, issue the command:
>
># mount -t vfat <device> <mount point>
>
>Where <device> is /dev/ device file eg. /dev/hda5 and <mount
point is the
>directory to mount to eg /mnt/C.  Make sure that this directory
exists.

>Mike.
>
>On Wednesday 02 October 2002 19:01, Ian Simpson wrote:
>> Hi Chaps,
>>
>> Can anyone please explain (in words of 1 syllable or less)
how