[Sderby] Accessing Windows partitions

Mini Mike sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 3 17:04:00 2002

Ian,

All devices are represented by a file in /dev.

There are four IDE devices

hda - Primary master
hdb - Primary slave
hdc - Secondry master
hdd - Secondry slave

Each partition has a number:

1-3 - Primary partition
4 - Extended partition
>=3D5 - Logical partition

If it is a paritionless disk. eg CDROM then the number is omitted.

SCSI disks are represented in the same way, but start sd*.

Mike.