[Sderby] Playing music from CDRW

Gordon Mitchell sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 7 20:47:01 2002

Hi all,

Following a Hard disk failure and system rebuild, I have now moved to
Suse 8. During the system rebuild I removed my old and slow cdrom which
was the secondary ide master and replaced it with my cdrw.

Unfortunately I cannot get applications like xmms to play music cd's
from the cdrw. It is recognised by cdrecord --scanbus and reported as
0,0,0, also cdparanoia finds the music tracks when I point it to /dev/scd0.

Do i need to create a link in /dev to get xmms to read music cd's from
the cdrw?

I can mount and read data cd's using the cdrw but getting music cd's to
play has foxed me.  I have tried searching google and various news
groups but have not found anything useful yet.

Finally I cannot make the next meeting as I my employer has temporarily
put me on shifts until christmas, :-( , I was looking forward to getting
  a look at smoothwall and some background on networking. A well maybe
another time.

Gordon
Gordon Mitchell, PDS Engineer                  mailto:gm@ftel.co.uk
Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd, Birmingham B77 7YU
Tel. +44 121 717 6434  Fax. +44 121 717 6014 Mobile +44 7970 994982