[Sderby] Introduction

Dominic Knight sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 11:35:01 2002

On Monday 07 October 2002 21:15, Scott M Bradley wrote:
> >Next meeting this Sunday from 2PM details on the >website (see sig
> > file)
>
> How many folk turn up ?

That would range between me and about a dozen last time out.

> >We should be finishing of the C programming course >preparatory to
> > C++
>
> Sounds interesting, not done any C/C++ for 5 years or so.
>
> >see Mike for details, plus of course our usual >install/config
> >assistance. No costs involved in coming along of >course, tea/coffee
> >available, disabled access etc.
>
> I may make it to this one, though I may wait till your course is
> finished.  Wouldn't really want to interupt.

Don't worry on that score, we now have two buildings available so can=20
run concurrent events or just have a chat while an event takes place.

> >I pass the buck on RHCerts other than to say I would >hope to be
> > able to offer some such service via the Lug buildings at some
> > >point.
>
> Please explain.

Save the hardest 'til last eh!  Pipedream possibly, but I have always=20
had the longterm plan to be able to offer Linux courses, Rhcerts are=20
are possible but that kettle of fish would likely require outside=20
control or a LUG offshoot as it would involve financing of tuition. I=20
think the LUG could currently offer something akin to the european=20
computer driver courses aimed at an end user. I am currently leaning=20
toward a bimonthly, install to simple usage demo.

Once we have the place set up to run linux over the network boxes and we=20
have a /sufficient user base/ I will add a weekly meeting (evenings) to=20
our services. This should also give us greater leeway for our projects=20
list to get together to work on the various projects we run.

> Thanks for the welcome
>

> Scott

Dom