[Sderby] SSH

Mini Mike sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 23:18:09 2002

The way I understand it, when you connect to an SSH server, it passes you=
 the=20
public key to encrypt the information you send to it.  you can then log o=
nto=20
the server securly.  I was thinking of opening port 22 on my server, so t=
hat=20
I can SSH in from the internet.  If I have 22 open, it means that people =
can=20
play the password guessing game.  Given that they don't know the userID, =
it=20
will be resonable secure, but I am thinking that if you stop the public k=
ey=20
from being givem out and manually carry it on a USB flash drive.  It mean=
s=20
that only the carrier of the drive can assess the server, adding more=20
secuirty.

Mike.