[Sderby] networking

mark wilkes sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 19:34:15 2002

Hello all,

I am currently in the midst of building / purchasing another 3 PC's + hub=
,=20
network cards, cat5 cables etc for my home network / hobby / obsession.
I would like to use linux Suse8 as the operating system for my server (wh=
ich I=20
have) or hpux 11(which I require) and dual boot with win 2000 server (whi=
ch I=20
require). I would like to use win 2000 professional (which I require) and=
=20
another linux or Unix o/s ( which I require) for my client PC's.
Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be be great e.g s/w I ca=
n=20
borrow or purchase & any hardware for sale.
I reckon if I buy a couple of Pentium2 machines with 64m ram and then bui=
ld my=20
own server with 1+gig processor and 256m ram to intergrate with my Pentiu=
m3=20
128m ram PC (dual booting linux suse8 & win 98se) I should have a decent=20
starting point.
Any do's or don'ts?
I only have a 56k modem at the moment so I can't download any s/w to big,=
 but=20
will hopefully upgrade to broadband when my network is up and running.
My budget isn't very big (=A3400-500max) but I saw some really cheap stuf=
f at=20
the Northern computer fair last week (pent2 full system =A365 & monitor =A3=
30) .=20
Are these events ok to acquire bargains or is most of it junk?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.=20

Thanks Mark Wilkes.
ps; Hopefully in the near future my next project will be to add a router =
or=20
web caching server with firewall. In I.T expansion is limitless but I thi=
nk=20
my wife will kill me before the network takes over the house.