[Sderby] Open Office and Suse and various problems

tony martin sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 20:22:00 2002

Dave's not the only one with Office problems. When trying to open an
"rtf" it just crashes. Blah.

Also, "find" is very slow. (very very slow). On a 1200 athlon, 256mb
RAM, SCSI Ultra wide 8gb. It takes several minutes just to do a simple
file search. Any thoughts? I only have about 300mb spare on the disk
now. Could that be part of the problem?

I am getting a large IDE (120gb) so soon space will not be a problem!! I
will then have to do a dual boot with Win2000 cause I am having so many
problems with Suse...
The TV stopped working, CD Roast is playing up, "find" crashes some
times, MPEG movie playing is jerky, Office crashes other times as well.
I want to persist, but I need a "reliable" (for that read fixable
system) which will have to be Win 2000. When's Suse 9 out I wonder?
Never did get the external modem going (a nice backup for cable)

Perhaps quad boot with 98se2 and Mandrake 9.0 as well? I would like to
convert my server to Linux, but until I can be sure of being able to
reliably back up via my CD writer I can't risk it.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, and see you Sunday (Perhaps with
new HDD drive and maybe someone might be able to give me a hand with
installing a quad boot system?)

Cheers
Tony